Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2013

May the Force Be With You, Again; Part Two, Making a Galaxy Cake Board

     Like many others I have been guilty of leaving an unfinished , silver cake board. Now, I don't think that is always bad, but unless you're Mike McCarey , your cakes will probably only be improved by decorating your board as well.

     For the Star Wars cake I wanted my board and cake to match and look like a galaxy far, far, away.
First I colored my fondant a deep blue and covered the board. Then I randomly airbrushed with deep blue and black:



 Then I remembered gradeschool art class and grabbed myself a (New) toothbrush. I poured a little white airbrush color onto the brush and flicked it onto the board:

 I then went back in with white in the airbrush to make little galaxy-ish shapes




 I colored the cake itself the same way (actually I did the cake first, which is why it doesn't look quite as nice as the board in my opinion as I was still getting a feel for it)

8 comments:

  1. You are incredibly sweet for taking the time to share this!!! Kosmic Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! So, I have a question. Would it be possible to color the fondant while its still flat on a board and then let it dry, and lay That over the cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't do that, myself. When you pick up the fondant to put over the cake, it tends to stretch a bit. Also, when you are smoothing the fondant over the cake, there's the possibility for it to smear.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't do that, myself. When you pick up the fondant to put over the cake, it tends to stretch a bit. Also, when you are smoothing the fondant over the cake, there's the possibility for it to smear.

      Delete
  3. Oh I never thought of that!! Thank you :) I'm really excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I never thought of that!! Thank you :) I'm really excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! Looks awesome!! I'm going to try this for my kiddo's outer space party! :)

    ReplyDelete